Saturday, July 18, 2009

Coming Soon: Balibo

I first heard early last year that Robert Connolly (The Bank) was doing a film starring Anthony La Paglia on the Balibo Five story. Immediately I had a feeling this could be a good Australian film - I mean really good - Lantana good; maybe Gallipoli good.

The trailer for the film came out a couple weeks ago, and I have to say it looks great. Too many Australian films look like they were made for bugger all, and even the "expensive ones" still look like they cost less than $5 million. This one looks like some money has been spent, and my high hopes remain.

It won't be a fun film - I don't see much hope for a happy ending. But if it is done well, this could be really worth seeing.

1 comment:

LiteraryMinded said...

It sounds good - I got to hear the director, plus the author of the book it's based on, Jill Joliffe, on a panel at MIFF the other day.